Medu Vada a South Indian Recipe
Medu Vadas are a traditional South Indian dish which can be served as a main course, side dish, or snack. This crispy deliciousness is made with spiced urad dal batter and fried in donut shape dumplings. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They are served with Sambar and Coconut Chutney.
PREP TIME : 9 hours COOK TIMEm: 30 mins TOTAL TIME : 9 hours 30 min
RECIPE TYPE: snacks, breakfast CUISINE: south Indian SERVES: 2-3
Medu vada – crisp fried black grams donuts shaped fritters. popular south indian snack.
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup urad dal/black gram
- ¼ tsp crushed black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chili, chopped
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 to 3 tbsp water or strained water of the soaked urad dal
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying
- Rinse the urad dal in water for a couple of times.
- Soak them in enough water overnight or for atleast 4-5 hours.
- Drain well and take all the lentils in the grinder jar.
- First add 1 tbsp water and grind the lentils for a few minutes.
- Switch off the grinder and scrape the sides of the jar with a spatula and add the unground lentils which stick to the sides of the jar inside the jar.
- Add 1 tbsp water and stir with the spatula.
- Grind again in intervals scraping and stirring the batter a few times.
- If you find difficulty in grinding the batter, you can add ½ or 1 tbsp water more.
- When the batter has become smooth, fluffy and soft, stop grinding.
- There should be no grainy texture in the batter. it should feel very smooth on your fingers.
- Add the crushed black pepper, cumin, green chilies, asafoetida and salt to the ground batter.
- Mix well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan for deep frying the vadas.
- Shape the medu vada as explained in the step by step pic above.
- Fry them in medium hot oil till golden and crisp.Drain vadas on paper napkins and serve the vada or medu vada hot with coconut chutney and sambar.