Vegetable Pulao an Indian Recipe
Easy lunch recipe with mixed vegetables, perfect for lunch box .
PREP TIME : 30 mins COOK TIME : 15 mins TOTAL TIME : 45 mins
RECIPE TYPE: main CUISINE: Indian SERVES: 4 to 5
Easy vegetable pulao recipe made in pressure cooker
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
For the pulao:
- 1.5 cups basmati rice, about 300 grams of basmati rice
- ⅓ cup peas/matar, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup chopped french beans, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped carrots, chopped into cubes
- ⅓ cup chopped potatoes, chopped into cubes
- ¼ to ⅓ cup sliced or chopped mushrooms
- ⅓ cup chopped medium cauliflower/gobi florets
- ⅓ cup chopped capsicum, chopped into cubes
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes or 1 medium sized tomato
- 1 medium sized onion, thinly sliced or about ⅓ cup thinly sliced onions
- 2.5 cups water
- 3 tbsp oil or ghee * check notes
Crushed or ground into paste in mortar-pestle
- ½ inch ginger/adrak, roughly chopped
- 3-4 medium garlic cloves/lahsun
- 1 green chili, roughly chopped
- 1 inch cinnamon stick/dal chini
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms/choti elaichi
- 1 black cardamom/badi elaichi
- 2 to 3 cloves/lavang
- 2 single strands of mace/javitri
- 1 medium sized tej patta/indian bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- a small piece of stone flower/pathar phool (optional)
- 3 to 4 whole black pepper/sabut kali mirch
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced or about ¼ cup thinly sliced onions
- 12 to 15 cashews/kaju
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander or mint leaves
- Rinse the rice till the water runs clears of starch.
- Then soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes. drain and keep the basmati rice aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp ghee or oil in the pressure cooker. add sliced onions.
- saute on a low flame, till the onions are golden and then remove them with a slotted spoon. Keep the caramelized onions aside.
- In the same oil, add cashews and brown them. keep the fried cashews also aside.
- In the same oil or ghee, add the whole spices – cinnamon, tej patta, black cardamom, green cardamoms, cloves, black pepper, stone flower, cumin seeds and mace. saute for a few seconds till the spices become aromatic.
- Add sliced onions. stir and saute the onions on a low flame. saute till the onions become golden.
- Then add ginger+garlic+green chili paste. stir and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away. about 15 to 20 seconds.
- Add the all the chopped veggies, including tomatoes and peas.
- saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame.
- Add the drained basmati rice. saute gently for 1 to 2 minutes till the oil/ghee has coated the rice grains evenly. pour water.
- Add salt. Stir the veg pulao gently.
- Check the taste of the stock. if it tastes bland, then add some more salt.
- Cover the pressure cooker tightly with its lid.
- Cook the veg pulao for 2 to 3 whistles on a medium to high flame. 2 whistles will give you a less soft texture. For softer texture cook for 3 whistles.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and gently fluff the rice.
- Serve the vegetable pulao garnished with fried onions, cashews and mint or coriander leaves. you can also gently mix the garnishing ingredients with the pulao.
- This pressure cooked vegetable pulao goes well with boondi raita, plain raita or onion-tomato raita. Also accompany some onion slices with lemon or a vegetable salad or pickle and papad.
NOTES: * skip the fried garnish part of onions & cashews if you prefer. In this case, just make the pulao with 2 tbsp oil or ghee instead of 3 tbsp oil or ghee.