Kerala Veg Biryani a South Indian Recipe
Vegetable Biryani one of the most popular and tasty rice dish in all parts of India.A very simple and easy Biryani recipe without much spices .This goes well with raitha, papads and chips.
PREP TIME : 30 mins COOK TIME : 30 mins TOTAL TIME : 1 hour
RECIPE TYPE: main CUISINE: south indian, kerala SERVES: 4-5
Kerala veg briyani : delicately spiced and fragrant mild vegetable biryani made with coconut milk.
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
For the rice:
- 2 cups rice soaked in 4 cups water
- ¼ or ½ cup chopped cashews
- 2 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup thinly sliced onions
- 4 to 5 tbsp oil
- a pinch of saffron dissolved in 11/2 tbsp water or yellow food coloring. a pinch of turmeric dissolved in water can also be used.
- salt as required
- 2 cups chopped veggies – i used small aubergines, potato, carrots and peas
- 11/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 inch cinnamon stick (dal chini)
- 7-8 cloves (laung)
- 4-5 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste)
- 2 green chilies, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 tsp fennel powder (saunf powder)
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ¼ or ½ tsp red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ or ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ or 1 tbsp lemon juice or ¼ cup yogurt.
- ½ cup chopped mint and coriander leaves
- salt as required
- First soak the rice for 30 mins and then cook till its ¾th done.
- heat oil and add ½ cup sliced onions
- Fry till the onions become transparent.
- Add the cashews, raisins and curry leaves.
- Fry till the whole mixture turns golden. don’t burn.
- Remove and add the fried onions, cashews, raisins and curry leaves to the cooked rice.
- In another pan, add this leftover oil. add more oil if required. heat it.
- Add the whole spices – cinnamon, cloves and green cardamom.
- Fry till the oil becomes fragrant.
- Now add the onions. and fry till light golden.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and green chilies. fry for a minute.
- Add the vegetables. saute for a minute.
- Add the coconut milk. stir and then add water along with lemon juice.
- If using yogurt, then add at this stage. stir well.
- Add water. cover the pan and let the veggies cook.
- The curry would reduce a bit.
- once the vegetables are cooked we can start layering the
- Grease a oven proof bowl or pan with oil.
- Layer the vegetable gravy first. then layer the rice.
- Spread the chopped mint & coriander leaves on top.
- Sprinkle the saffron water. dot with some oil.
- Spread another layer of the veg gravy.
- Now spread the fourth layer of rice.
- Sprinkle the chopped mint & coriander leaves and saffron water.
- Dot with some oil again. cover with an aluminium foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 200 degrees C at 25-30 mins.
- You can also cook the layered biryani in a tightly covered pan on stove top for 25-30 minutes.
- serve Kerala veg biryani hot or warm with raita or kuchumber