Coconut chutney is a South Indian spicy chutney-side-dish and condiment. This is a coconut stew mixed with other spices and served with Idli, Dosai, vadai
PREP TIME: 10 mins COOK TIME:2 mins TOTAL TIME:12 mins
RECIPE TYPE: chutney CUISINE: south india
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
(A) For the Chutney:
• 1 cup fresh grated coconut or 1 cup desiccated coconut (coconut powder)
• 2 tbsp roasted chana dal (bhuna chana)
• 1 green chili/hari mirch
• ½ inch ginger/adrak
(B) For the tempering:
• 1 tsp urad dal (split, skinned black gram)
• ¾ tsp mustard seeds/rai or sarson
• ¾ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
• 1 sprig of curry leaves/kadi patta
• a pinch of asafoetida/hing
• 1 red chili/sabut lal mirch
• 1 tbsp oil
1. Grind together all the ingredients mentioned in (A) with little water to a smooth consistency.
2. Heat oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the cumin seeds and urad dal. Fry till the urad dal till it becomes brown.
3. Then add the curry leaves, red chili and asafoetida.
4. Fry for a minute. Immediately pour the tempering on the coconut chutney.
5. Mix it well with the coconut chutney.
6. Serve coconut chutney with any idli, dosa, vada or pakoda of your choice.