Rava kesari is a popular South Indian sweet made from semolina during the festive season. Rava kesari’s North Indian counterpart is sooji ka halwa.
PREP TIME : 5 mins, COOK TIME : 10 mins TOTAL TIME :15 mins
RECIPE TYPE: dessert CUISINE: south Indian SERVES: 3-4
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup fine rava or sooji or semolina
- 5 to 6 tbsp ghee
- ¾ to 1 cup sugar or as required
- 2 cups water
- 2 to 3 pinches of saffron threads/kesar
- 4-5 green cardamom pods, husked and powdered or ½ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ cup halved or chopped cashews
- Crush the cardamoms to a semi fine powder in a mortar-pestle and keep aside.
- Also crush the saffron threads in the same mortar-pestle and keep aside.
- Keep a kadai or pan on a low flame.
- Add the ghee and when the ghee is heating up, do the following.
- Take the sugar and water in another pan.
- Keep this pan on a medium to high flame and let the solution come to a boil.
- Also add the powdered saffron or kesar to the sugar solution.
- Once the ghee becomes hot, add the semolina and keep on stirring while adding the semolina.
- Immediately add the cashews and keep on stirring the mixture.
- In the meanwhile keep your eyes also on the sugar solution.
- If the mixture starts to boil, then lower the flame and let it simmer.
- Keep on stirring the semolina for 7-8 mins and when the grains change their color and when the cashews also change to a light golden, we have to add the bubbling hot sugar and water solution.
- Increase the flame to high for the sugar solution to bubble and when it starts to bubble in a matter of seconds, immediately add it to the hot semolina mixture.
- Be careful as the mixture has the tendency to splutter.
- Be quick enough to stir and keep on stirring till the whole mixture starts thickening and starts to leave the edge of the kadai or pan.
- Keep a tight lid on the top or place a heavy weight on the lid.
- Switch off the flame and allow the rava kesari to steam for 5-6 minutes.
- Now remove the lid and serve the rava kesari hot or warm.
You can add a few table spoons of ghee if you want in the rava kesari