Rava Upma a South Indian Dish
A quick & healthy breakfast recipe made from samolina.
PREP TIME : 15 mins COOK TIME : 15 mins TOTAL TIME : 30 mins
RECIPE TYPE: breakfast, brunch CUISINE: South Indian SERVES: 2-3
Upma – savory south indian breakfast dish made with semolina
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup roasted semolina/sooji/rava
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped finely
- 1 green chilly, chopped
- 1 tsp chana dal/split and skinned bengal gram
- 1 tsp urad dal/split and skinned black gram
- ½ inch ginger grated or chopped finely
- 5 cups water
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/rai
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 sprig of curry leaves/kadi patta
- 10 to 12 cashewnuts/kaju
- 1 to 2 tsp sugar (optional) or add as required
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- salt as required
- Prep up the ingredients for the upma – finely chop 1 medium sized onion, 1 to 2 green chillies and ½ inch ginger and some coriander leaves. also take the 8 to 10 curry leaves, 10 to 12 cashews, 1 tsp chana dal and 1 tsp urad dal.
- Heat a pan or kadai first. add 1 cup rava or cream of wheat.
- Begin to roast the rava. stir often while roasting the rava.
- The rava or sooji grains should become fragrant and start to look dry, separate and crisp. don’t brown the rava.
- Switch off the flame and then add the roasted rava in a plate and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp ghee or oil.
- Add 1 tsp mustard seeds.
- When you hear the crackling sound of mustard seeds, it means they are getting fried.
- Now add the ½ tsp cumin seeds along with 1 tsp chana dal and 1 tsp urad dal.
- fry till they begin to brown a bit
- Immediately then add cashews and begin to fry. by the time, the cashews get golden the dals would also get golden.
- Now add the finely chopped onions. saute the onions till they become translucent.
- Then add the chopped green chilly, ginger, curry leaves. saute for a minute.
- Then add 2.5 cups water to this mixture. add salt as required.
- Then add sugar. sugar is optional and you can skip it. we prefer a slight sweet taste in the upma and hence we add it. stir well.
- On a medium to high flame, heat the water and let it come to a to a rolling boiling.
- When the water comes to a rolling boil, lower the flame to its lowest. then add the rava in 4 to 5 batches with a spoon.
- Once you add the rava, stir immediately.
- Then add the next batch of rava. stir again.
- This way keeps on adding and stirring the rava up to the last batch.
- Quickly stir and mix well. the rava grains absorb water and thus swell and get cooked.
- Cover and allow the rava upma to steam for 2 minutes on the low flame.
- Then swtich off the flame. here the rava is cooked and the upma is ready.
- Lastly add about 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. stir well.Serve upma with coconut chutney or lime slices or lime pickle.