Beetroot carrot poriyal
Carrot Beetroot poriyal is one of the healthiest and yummy side dish for any rice dishes
PREP TIME:10 mins COOK TIME: 20 mins TOTAL TIME:30 mins
RECIPE TYPE: side CUISINE: south Indian SERVES: 2-3
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
• 2 medium beetroots
• 1 medium carrot
• 1 green chili, chopped
• 1 tsp urad dal
• 1 tsp mustard
• 1 green chili
• 10-12 curry leaves/kadi patta
• a pinch of asafoetida/hing
• a pinch of turmeric/haldi
• 1 tbsp oil
• 3-4 tbsp fresh grated coconut
• salt as required
1. Rinse, peel and chop the beetroots and carrot, very finely.
2. The more fine, they faster they will cook.
3. You can also grate the veggies if you prefer.
4. Heat the oil in a pan. add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
5. Fry till the mustard seed make a popping sound and the urad dal get maroonish golden.
6. make sure you don’t burn them
7. Add the green chilies, curry leaves, turmeric powder and asafoetida. fry for 10-12 seconds.
8. Now add the chopped veggies. sprinkle salt and stir.
9. Cover and let the veggies cook till they are done.
10. Sprinkle some water if the moisture dries in the pan.
11. Keep on checking during intervals and sprinkle water whenever required.
12. When the veggies are cooked well, lastly add coconut and give a stir.
13. Before adding the coconut, if there is moisture in the pan, then dry it by simmering on an open flame for a few minutes.
14. Sprinkle the coconut and then switch off the flame and cover.
15. Stir and then serve beetroot carrot poriyal with rotis or chappatis.
16. or you can also serve beetroot carrot poriyal as a side dish with sambar rice or rasam rice combo.