Lemon Rice a South Indian Dish
Lemon Rice is a delicious South Indian dish you can easily put together when in a hurry. You can also make it with leftover rice. Serve Lemon Rice with a Raita (yogurt salad) and Poppadums, pickle for a simple yet tasty meal.
PREP TIME : 20 mins COOK TIME : 5 mins TOTAL TIME : 25 mins
RECIPE TYPE: main CUISINE: south india SERVES: 2-3
Lemon rice – crunchy, flavorful and sour rice recipe from south India
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2.5 to 3 cups cooked or steamed basmati rice/chawal
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp lemon juice/nimbu ka ras or as required
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/rai
- 1 tsp urad dal/spilt & skinned black gram
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- 2 dry red chilies/sookhi lal mirch
- 12-15 curry leaves/kadi patta
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tbsp cashews/kaju, halved or chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup peanuts/moongphalli (optional)
- 2 to 3 tbsp sesame oil/til ka tel (optional)
- rock salt/sendha namak or regular salt/namak as required
- First cook about 1 to 1.25 cups rice in 4-5 cups of water till the grains are cooked completely. (will yield approx 2.5 to 3 cups rice, depending on the type and quality of rice)
- Drain and spread the rice on a plate or in a bowl.
- Cover and let the rice cool.
- In a small frying pan, first roast the peanuts till they are crisp and browned.
- Remove the peanuts and keep aside.
- Then in the same frying pan, roast the cashewnuts till light brown.
- Remove the cashewnuts and keep aside.
- Now heat the sesame oil in the same pan.
- Add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Crackle the mustard and brown the urad dal.
- Add the red chilies, green chilies and curry leaves.
- Fry for 12-15 seconds.
- Then add the peanuts and stir.
- Add the asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Fry for 2-3 seconds.
- Fry everything on a low flame, so that the spices don’t burn.
- Switch off the fire and add the lemon juice along with salt.
- Stir and immediately pour this mixture on the rice.
- Mix very well.
- Keep the lemon rice covered for the flavors to blend for 4-5 minutes.
- Then serve the lemon rice with papads or vadams and coconut chutney or just have lemon rice plain.