Kerala Parotta a South Indian dish
Kerala paratha or kerala parotta is a layered flaky flat bread that is popular across the whole of south India. It is a variation of the north Indian lachcha or layered paratha.
PREP TIME : 1 hour 10 mins COOK TIME : 30 mins TOTAL TIME : 1 hour 40 mins
RECIPE TYPE: main CUISINE: kerala, Indian SERVES: 2-3
kerala parotta – crisp, flaky unleavened layered flat bread from kerala.
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
• 1 cup whole wheat flour/atta
• 1 cup all purpose flour/maida
• 2 tbsp oil
• ¼ tsp baking soda
• ¾ to 1 cup hot water
• 1 to 2 tsp sugar
• ¾ tsp salt or as required
1. Sieve both the whole wheat flour and all purpose flour with baking soda.
2. Make a well and add sugar, salt and oil. add hot water.
3. First mix with a spoon and then knead the dough till soft, smooth and elastic.
4. Cover with a moist cloth and keep aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Divide into 7-8 balls. Dust the working surface with flour. roll each ball as thinly as possible into a large round.
6. Smear or apply oil on the entire surface of the rolled dough.
7. Hold the rolled disc from the top on both sides and pleat them till bottom.
8. Now roll them like a spiral and press the last edge onto the center of the roll.
9. Make all the spiralled balls this way and cover with wet cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
10. Heat tava or griddle. take each rolled ball and on a dusted working surface, roll each ball into a paratha of 4-5 inches.
11. Place the paratha on the tava and fry on both sides with oil drizzled on top and the edges till the parathas are crisp and golden.Serve the kerala parathas with any indian vegetable or lentil curry or dal.
work Kerala Trivandrum barota5 years mobile call 9995779382