Nepal Earthquake 2015 – News and Updates
M 6.7 Earthquake Aftershock 17km South of Kodari, Nepal
Apr 26, 2015 5:45 PM GST
Fresh Tremors Affecting Rescue Operations: All movement to Kathmandu kept on hold till 12.30 hrs (GST) due to fresh tremors in Nepal – says India
Apr 26, 2015 5:00 PM GST
According to the News sources, at least 2,200+ people were killed and 4,500+ injured in Nepal alone.
An earthquake aftershock with magnitude 6.7 occurred near Kathmandu, Nepal at 11:09 AM GST on Apr 26, 2015 following the earth quake of M 7.8 on the previous day i.e., Apr 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM GST. The M 7.8 quake toppled temples and triggered an avalanche on Mt. Everest.
Video: Fox News
Google Person Finder
People Search is available through SMS in Nepal, India and US:
In Nepal or India: Text “search <name>” to +91-9773300000
International charges may apply from Nepal.
In US: text “search <name>” to +1 650-800-3978
PLEASE NOTE: All data entered will be available to the public and viewable and usable by anyone. Google does not review or verify the accuracy of this data.
Red Cross Family Links
Earthquake App by Red Cross
Receive alerts and notifications when an earthquake occurs, prepare your family and home, find help and let others know you are safe even if the power is out – a must have for anyone who lives in an earthquake-prone area or has loved ones who do.
Apple iTunes (App Store)
How you can help?
You may send your donation to rebuild the lost lives. Please do not fall for scams use the links listed below or go with large and trusted organizations only.
UNICEF in Nepal
For Online Donation on DirectRelief:
- Select Donate Now
- Enter the amount and select the option “Direct my donation to:” and select “Nepal Earthquake” in the program drop-down
- Enter payment information and submit
Save the Children
- Accepts Online Donation
- Accepts Online Donation (Scroll down the page, enter payment information and submit)
Red Cross Singapore
By Mail: You may make your cheque payable to “Singapore Red Cross Society”, indicate “Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund”, donor’s name, contact number and address at the back, and post it to Red Cross House, 15 Penang Lane, Singapore 236486.
Reactions, Aid & Help from around the world
Nepal with its recent challenges has faced several troubles in their economy. This catastrophic event is a huge set back to the country and its people. It is a social responsibility for all countries to unite and help the people in Nepal to regain their life. Here are the global reactions and generous help from various sources coming-in.
United Arab Emirates
- By the directives of President His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, has ordered the dispatch of emergency humanitarian aid to help people affected by earthquake in Nepal.
India (Neighbor Country)
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke Nepal’s president, Ram Baran Yadav, and Prime Minister Sushil Koirala and assured them of all support to his country in this hour of crisis.
- The Indian army has launched Operation Maitri in its efforts to help the Himalayan kingdom of Nepal overcome the aftermath of the devastating earthquake.
- Under the direction of the Prime Minister, the defense ministry have diverted 3 aircrafts and 5 helicopters to carry National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) team, doctors, food, water and medicine among others to Nepal.
- The NDRF has dispatched 10 teams for its first major operation on foreign soil.
- 10 flights by military aircraft were carried out on Sunday.
- The defense ministry has also put assets of the Indian army, air force and Border Roads Organization on standby for relief operations which can be airlifted to Nepal at short notice from airbases such as Hindon and Gorakhpur.
- The Indian Army has sent a major-general to Nepal to oversee the rescue and relief efforts.
- India has rushed six more teams of the National Disaster Response Force to Nepal in addition to the 10 teams that have already been sent for quake relief.
- Four IAF MI 17 copters took off for rescue to Dhadind, Charikot, Chatauran and Gorkha on Sunday.
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has dispatched 15 tonnes of medicines to Nepal and sent a 34 member medical team consisting of 10 Orthopaedic Surgeons, four Anaesthetists, 12 male nurses and eight OT Technicians to the earthquake affected areas to provide emergency medical relief.
- The Ministry has also sent three technicians for installing and operating water treatment plants that have been affected by the quake.
Pakistan (Neighbor Country)
- Four Pakistan Air Force (PAF) aircraft carrying rescue and relief assistance, including a 30-bed mobile hospital, for Nepal.
- Two C-130 aircrafts have landed at Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu and two more are expected to reach Kathmandu on April 27.
- The Pakistani ambassador and other embassy officials were present at the airport to facilitate and extend logistical support to Pakistan relief assistance team.
- Food items include 2,000 meals, ready-to-eat packs, eatables and bottled water while the team is also carrying medicines, 200 tents, 600 blankets and other necessary items, according to the state-run Radio Pakistan website
China (Neighbor Country)
- A 62-member search-and-rescue team, with military personnel, has been sent to Katmandu along with sniffer dogs and medical equipment midday Sunday.
- China’s Ministry of Commerce said it is coordinating with other agencies and providing 20 million yuan in tents, blankets, generators and other materials to be sent by charter flights to Nepal.
- Top Chinese leaders sent messages expressing shock at the disaster and condolences to victims’ families. In his message, Chinese President Xi Jinping said, “The Chinese side is willing to offer all necessary disaster assistance to the Nepalese side.”
- The United States is sending a disaster response team and $1 million in aid to Nepal.
- The White House and Secretary of State John Kerry are offering condolences along with pledging the support.
- USAID is preparing to deploy the disaster assistance response team and is activating an urban search and rescue team
- National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan says the U.S. stands ready to provide further assistance in the region.
- The Singapore Government has contributed $100,000 as seed money towards an urgent public appeal for the relief and recovery efforts in Nepal announced by Red Cross Singapore
Red Cresent, UAE
- Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the ruler’s representative in the Western Region and chairman of the Emirates Red Crescent (ERC), has instructed the ERC to provide urgent humanitarian assistance to people affected by the earthquake that struck Nepal on Saturday.
- Another ERC delegation will travel to the Indian capital New Delhi to purchase food and medical supplies to be airlifted to the quake-affected areas.
Red Cross, Singapore
- Singapore Red Cross contributes $50,000 to humanitarian relief
- The Red Cross is working to provide first aid, search and rescue, and support to first responders.
Intensity of the Nepal Earthquake 2015
According to “Did You Feel It?” (DYFI) responses on the USGS website, the intensity in Kathmandu was IX (Violent).
- Tremors were felt in the neighboring Indian states of Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Assam, West Bengal, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and in the Indian capital New Delhi.
- Minor quakes were registered as far as Kochi in Kerala state.
- The earthquake was also experienced in the Tibet Autonomous Region of China, and in Chengdu, which is 1900 kilometers away from the epicenter.
- Tremors were also felt in Pakistan and Bhutan.
Follow us on our Facebook page to get most updated information.