Alert: Thunderstorm to Worsen this Week
As thunder boomed shortly after maghrib prayers and streaks of lightning cascaded the night sky, heavy rain lashed Abu Dhabi. With tropical-style storm opening up over the UAE coast, weather forecasters expect thunderstorm to worsen throughout this week.
Abu Dhabi right now, terrifyingly breathtaking pic.twitter.com/Jt4dapushW
— St. Vincent (@SAIINTDEATH) November 11, 2018
Thunderstorm to Worsen in Abu Dhabi
While heavy rain and thunder continues, some streets are quickly getting water-logged. Accompanied by strong dusty winds, the heavy downpours cause drivers to navigate in poor conditions especially in the Shahama area of the Capital. Eventually the storm gained momentum during the night. Strong winds blew trees out of their place and debris flew on the roads in Abu Dhabi. The highest rainfall was in Al Farfar Mountain. It recorded with 53.8mm as of 8am yesterday. However, unsettled weather is forecasted to continue throughout this week. Humidity will be at peak about 80 percent across most of the country. Elsewhere, heavy rain and flooding will continue on the east coast especially Oman.
— المركز الوطني للأرصاد (@NCMS_media) May 19, 2019
Abu Dhabi Municipality sent out a safety warning to motorists to be cautious and to steer clear of wadis. Perhaps take extra care during the bad weather, keep umbrellas handy for the next two days with more thunderstorm warnings in parts of the UAE. To be on the safer side, you can stay indoors and avoid driving in this weather condition.
Driving Tips during Fog, Rain
- Keep safe distance from the vehicle in front and watch out for any sudden incident.
- Drive less than the speed limit or at a reasonable speed
- Avoid mobile phone or any driving distractions
- Do not switch on the four-light hazard unless in emergency
- Clean windshield and windows for clear visibility.
- Continually check your vehicle condition especially headlights, wipers, tyres and brakes as they contribute to boosting driver’s visibility and control of the vehicle during rainy spells.